Veronica Mars/Happy Go Lucky
Happy Go Lucky is the twenty-first episode of the second season of Veronica Mars, and the forty-third episode overall.
Starring: Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars), Percy Daggs III (Wallace Fennel), Teddy Dunn (Duncan Kane) (credit only), Jason Dohring (Logan Echolls), Francis Capra (Eli "Weevil" Navarro), Ryan Hansen (Richard "Dick" Casablancas) (credit only), Kyle Gallner (Cassidy "Beaver" Casablancas), Tessa Thompson (Jackie Cook)
Guest Starring: Jeffrey Sams (Terrence Cook), Michael Muhney (Sheriff Don Lamb), Krysten Ritter (Gia Goodman), Tina Majorino (Cindy "Mac" Mackenzie), James Jordan (Tommy "Lucky" Dohanic), John Prosky (Ethan Lavoie), Gil Birmingham (Leonard Lobo)
Co-Starring: Brandon Hillock (Deputy Sacks), Gay Storm (Prosecution), Michael Gaarde (Hart Hanson), Lauren Krause (Reporter), Don Worley (Judge Ferris), Maria Valdez (Young Mother), Jamen Nanthakumar (Older Boy From Van), Shelley Wenk (Juror (Foreman)), GiGi Erneta (Mrs. Goodman), Ian Brininstool (Rodney Goodman), Annie Hinton (Judge), Graham Sterling (Reporter)
- Aaron finally goes on trial. On the stand he denies having sex with Lilly. He tells Logan that he's going to win and that Logan shouldn't testify because he'd go to jail for destroying the evidence. Logan does so anyway, as does Veronica, but Aaron puts on a vicious defense, exposing Veronica's bout with Chlamydia and other illegal escapades and pointing out that Logan was given immunity for testifying. The jury finds Aaron not guilty on all counts.
Lucky and Woody
- Lucky gets fired and, angry and crazy, heads outside during lunch with a gun and fires shots into the air, while the kids scramble for cover. Lucky especially taunts Gia, calling her his girl. Jackie tries to phone for help but Lucky catches her dialing and begins threatening her. Wallace tackles Lucky and knocks the gun out of his hands, but after a struggle Lucky manages to get the gun back and shoots Wallace. The shot is a blank but as Lucky is laughing about this he's shot in the back by a security guard and killed.
- Woody is asked about the incident, with reporters noting that he was arrested for stalking Woody's family. Woody says that Lucky was a bat boy for the Sharks in his teens and was later let go.
- Veronica pulls emails from Lucky off of Woody's computer. One has an audio file attached in which two boys suggest that Woody molested them and one other person.
- Reading through Lucky's emails, Keith finds evidence that Lucky may have planted a bomb in Woody's house. He tells Woody, also telling him that he knows about the molestation. Woody tells him that if he takes this public, he will completely destroy Keith and his family. Keith says he's not scared.
- Logan said Lucky often wore a catcher's mask. Keith finds that Lucky's video of Woody's house focuses on a painting of a catcher's mask. He calls the bomb squad and Lamb searches the house but only finds a phone-activated bomb placed under Woody's car.
- Veronica notices on Lucky's tape a photo of Woody's little league team, also named the Sharks. In it are two kids who died in the bus crash (Marcos and Peter). Veronica later identifies the voices on the recording as theirs.
- Lamb finds that Lucky blew off work the day of the bus crash and the bomb he planted on Woody's car was similar to the one that blew up the bus. He concludes that Lucky must have blown the bus and thinks that Keith is just trying to trick him into arresting the mayor. Keith eventually finds proof that Lucky was in a mental institution the day of the bus crash, but by then Woody has fled on his private jet.
- A newspaper report says Thumper's body was found in the rubble of Shark Field. The two boys who saw Weevil knock Thumper out go to the police and pick Weevil out of a book of mug shots.
- Weevil: Weevil needs a B in algebra to pass high school. Veronica's too busy studying (so she can win the Kane scholarship) but Beaver and (mostly) Mac help him and he passes.
- Terrence: Terrence's friend at the casino finally decides to testify and gets Terrence freed, but then he demands Terrence work at the casino for him for the next ten years.
- Jackie: After her father starts acting weird (because he's secretly working at the casino) and suggests she goes to France, she finally decides to leave.
- Wallace: He finishes high school and heads off to Hearst.
Goofs and Gaffes
- If Veronica has been listening to Ahoy, Mateys! non-stop, why didn't she recognize Marcos' voice when she first heard Lucky's clip?
Behind the Scenes
- Sexiest Man Alive: In fact, Harry Hamlin who plays Aaron Echolls was designated "Sexiest Man Alive" by People magazine in 1987.
- Aaron: In 1987, I was People magazine's Sexiest Man Alive.
Allusions and References
- Bambi: The eponymous brown-eyed fawn from the animated Disney movie Bambi has become a symbol of innocence.
- Veronica: Look at that. His eyes are turning brown.
- Keith: I'm thinking about getting you some sort of…giant hamster ball, so you can roll everywhere in this protective sphere.
- Veronica: It'd just draw attention to me. Nobody likes a blonde in a hamster ball.
- Woody: I'll put this plainly: You are mistaken. And if you share your theories—slander me—I'll ruin you, I'll ruin your family, and you'll remember the moment you walked through that door as the moment you threw your life away.
- Keith: (unfazed) I'm not a 15-year-old boy, Woody. You don't scare me.