Stargate SG-1/Thor's Hammer
| This article about an episode needs to be expanded with more information.|
Please help out by editing it.
Thor's Hammer is the tenth episode of the first season of Stargate SG-1, and the tenth episode overall.
In search of allies in their battle against the Goa'ulds, O'Neill and the SG-1 team travel to the planet Cimmeria - - home to the legendary Norse gods. But, Cimmeria has long ago been declared off-limits to Goa'ulds and when the team emerges from the stargate, Teal'c, who as a Jaffa carries an infant Goa'uld within him, is trapped in a mysterious beam of light. When O'Neill tries to save him, both men vanish, transported to a mysterious underground labyrinth. The labyrinth is home to Unas, a vicious creature that is the original Goa'uld host, but it is also Thor's Hammer, which is designed to kill Goa'ulds. As O'Neill and Teal'c fight for survival, Daniel Jackson and Dr. Samantha Carter try to rescue them, aided by Kendra, a former Goa'uld host who survived her own journey through the labyrinth years earlier.
With Kendra's aid, Daniel and Sam eventually find the exit from the labyrinth. Teal's and Jack have made their way there as well, but the "Hammer," a beam of light that kills any Goa'uld symbiote within its host, bars their entrance - Jack can escape but Teal'c will lose his symbiote and die if he passes through. Teal'c throws himself and Unas into the beam - with the death of its symbiote the Unas dies and Jack pulls Teal'c out in the nick of time. Although weapons don't function within the labyrinth, Daniel uses Teal'c staff weapon to blast the Hammer apart from outside, destroying the mechanism. Kendra is leery of what the destruction of the Hammer portends, but the team departs after giving her a box they ask her to give to Thor should he ever return.
- Syndication airdate: November 2, 1998.
- Cimmeria was designated P3X-974.
- James Earl Jones, who is the voice of Unas in this episode, is better known as the voice of Darth Vader in the original Star Wars trilogy.
- Thor will make several appearances in future SG-1 episodes.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- Thor, a member of the Asgard race, is thought to be a god to the people of Cimmeria. Thor was known as a god in Ancient times, and his hammer was known to have lightning-like effects which instilled fear into his enemies.
Teal'c: The old stories say Unas had great regenerative powers. But those are tales told to frighten children. It is a myth.
Teal'c: It was dead.
Jack: That's good.
Teal'c: I believe.
Jack: You believe?
Teal'c: I am certain.
Teal'c: I am.
Jack: Just a myth.
Teal'c: A myth.
Teal'c: Are you considering the same tactic as I?
Jack: Teal'c, the cliché is, "are you thinking what I'm thinking?". And the answer is yes.
- Overall Grade: no reviews yet
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0