Gamera vs. Barugon is the fourth episode of the zeroth season of Mystery Science Theater 3000, and the fourth episode overall.
Gamera, a giant turtle living under the ice caps, was released by a nuclear explosion. With the amazing power of flight, Gamera went on a destructive rampage looking for power to feed off of. In this sequel, a giant egg is discovered. Out of the egg comes Barugon the demon dog. Barugon has the ability to shoot cold beams and can use its tongue as a weapon. It's up to Gamera to stop Barugon from destroying all of Japan.
The Host Segments
- Opening Segment - Joel introduces the movie for today's experiment and takes a call from a viewer.
- Segment One - Joel takes more calls from viewers. One wants the immature people to stop talking over the movies while another one demands more of it.
- Segment Two - More viewer responses. One viewer asks for "less movie, more chapstick." They presumably meant "more slapstick," but that doesn't stop Joel and the bots from promising more chapstick on the program in different flavors.
- Segment Three - Crow explains how to keep yourself clean.
- Closing Segment - Crow and Tom Servo make prank phone calls to Domino's Pizza and Dan Quayle. Joel tells the viewers how to contact the show with questions or comments.
- This is the earliest episode of the show found by fans for distribution.
- Gamera vs. Barugon is the first film in the Gamera series to be presented in color. It is also the only film in the series to not feature a child as the main character.
- Gamera vs Barugon was produced by Sandy Frank, who was very upset over the treatment of his films on the show. As a result, he refused to renew the rights for their broadcast and the episodes featuring his movies could not be re-aired once the rights expired.
- Gamera vs Barugon is one of the KTMA episodes that was re-done in a later season (Gamera vs. Barugon)
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- Overall Grade: no reviews yet
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0