|On January 4, 2015, I will be shutting down the server that hosts The TV IV website. It has been a very long time since I've been able to put any decent amount of time into the site, and ad revenue is plummeting. I think it is time to shut it down or hand it off to someone who can keep it going properly. If you are interested in taking over the site's code and data, contact administrators at tviv.org. --CygnusTMtalk|
History is a mainstream cable television channel, which presents programming related to historical events and persons — often with observations and explanations by noted historians as well as reenactors and interviews with witnesses.
It is owned by A&E Television Networks and operates, in various forms, in the United States and the United Kingdom.
The History Channel is not to be confused with a similar, independently-owned, Canadian service, History Television. The History Channel also maintains a non-profit fund called Save Our History, dedicated to the preservation of history, similar in spirit but not to be confused with the Society of Historical Preservation.
Due to its programming being dominated by documentaries on World War Two it is sometimes jokingly referred to as "The Hitler Channel."
The station was launched on January 1, 1995 as a cable channel in the United States. The History Channel has since expanded into many other channels, most recently as History Channel HD which was launched on October 26, 2006. The History Channel is currently available in many areas outside the United States as well. The channel's many original programing also airs on History Television (not affiliated with the History Channel, as shown above) which is a cable channel in Canada.
In 2011, the network was suppose to air its first scripted program, miniseries The Kennedys. A couple of months before its supposed premiere, the network announced they had decided not to show the series, which later aired on Reelz Channel. The miniseries Hatfields & McCoys became in May 2012 the channels first scripted program.
With the constant shift into reality programming, most documentary series have been taken over by rebranded sister channel H2 in September 2011.
- Program Listing: A complete listing of shows that aired new episodes on History.
- Non-scripted original series
- American Pickers (Season 6)
- American Restortation (Season 6)
- Counting Cars (Season 4)
- Pawn Stars (Season 9)
- Down East Dickering (Season 2) (November 12, 2014)
- Scripted original series
Shows in Limbo
- Non-scripted original series
- The Curse of Oak Island (Season 1) (January 5-February 9, 2014)
- Appalachian Outlaws (Season 1) (January 9-February 13, 2014)
- Cryptid: The Swamp Beast (Season 1) (February 24-March 31, 2014)
- No Man's Land (Season 7) (March 9-April 27, 2014)
- Ax Men (Season 7) (November 10, 2013-)
- Swamp People (Season 5) (February 3-June 30, 2014)
- Mountain Men (Season 3) (June 1, 2014-)
- Ice Road Truckers (Season 8) (July 7-September 28, 2014)
- Top Gear (Season 5) (June 3-October 21, 2014)