History is a mainstream cable television channel, which presents programming related to historical events and persons — often with observations and explanations by noted historians as well as reenactors and interviews with witnesses.
It is owned by A&E Television Networks and operates, in various forms, in the United States and the United Kingdom.
The History Channel is not to be confused with a similar, independently-owned, Canadian service, History Television. The History Channel also maintains a non-profit fund called Save Our History, dedicated to the preservation of history, similar in spirit but not to be confused with the Society of Historical Preservation.
Due to its programming being dominated by documentaries on World War Two it is sometimes jokingly referred to as "The Hitler Channel."
The station was launched on January 1, 1995 as a cable channel in the United States. The History Channel has since expanded into many other channels, most recently as History Channel HD which was launched on October 26, 2006. The History Channel is currently available in many areas outside the United States as well. The channel's many original programing also airs on History Television (not affiliated with the History Channel, as shown above) which is a cable channel in Canada.
In 2011, the network was suppose to air its first scripted program, miniseries The Kennedys. A couple of months before its supposed premiere, the network announced they had decided not to show the series, which later aired on Reelz Channel. The miniseries Hatfields & McCoys became in May 2012 the channels first scripted program.
With the constant shift into reality programming, most documentary series have been taken over by rebranded sister channel H2 in September 2011.
- Program Listing: A complete listing of shows that aired new episodes on History.
- Pawn Stars (Season 9) (September 18, 2014)
- Ax Men (Season 8) (November 30, 2014)
- Swamp People (Season 6) (February 2, 2015)
- Counting Cars (Season 5) (February 24, 2015)
Shows in Limbo
- The Curse of Oak Island (Season 2) (November 4, 2014-January 13, 2015)
- Down East Dickering (Season 2) (November 12, 2014)
- Mississippi Men (Season 1) (January 28-February 25, 2015)
- Gangland Undercover (Season 1) (February 24-March 31, 2015)