From The TV IV
The Travel Channel is an US cable television channel. It is owned by Scripps Networks Interactive and Cox Communications. As the name suggests, the Travel Channel focuses its programming on interests related to travel; such as popular hotels, beaches, and historic sites. Ironically, one of the channel's most popular shows is barely travel related: Professional Poker Tour.
The channel was launched in 1987 by Trans World Airlines (TWA). It was later owned by Landmark Communications, then afterwards by Paxson Communications. Discovery Communications bought a 70 % interest in the channel in 1997, and assumed full ownership in 1999. In May 2007 Discovery sold the channel to Cox Communications. In November 2009 Scripps Networks Interactive acquired a 65 % interest in the channel, with Cox keeping a 35 % stake.
In March 2012 Scripps annonuced to buy Travel Channel International, an unrelated british company that owns the Travel Channel brand in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia-Pacific. If the deal gets regulatory approval, the international channels will be integrated into the Scripps/Cox-owned Travel Channel.
- Program Listing: A complete listing of shows that aired new episodes on Travel Channel.
Current Shows (2012)
- Non-scripted original series
- Adam Richman's Best Sandwich in America (Season 1, summer 2012)
- Amazing Eats (Season 1, winter 2012)
- Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations (Season 8, spring 2012)
- Baggage Battles (Season 1, spring 2012)
- Bizarre Foods (Season 7, winter 2012)
- The Dead Files (Season 2, spring 2012)
- Ghost Adventures (Season 6, spring 2012)
- Hidden City (Season 1, winter 2012
- Hotel Impossible (Season 1, spring 2012)
- The Layover (Season 2, TBA 2012)
- Man v. Food (Season 6, spring 2012)
- Mysteries at the Museum (Season 3, spring 2012)
- Off Limits (Season 2, spring 2012)
- Park Secrets (Season 1, spring 2012)
- Sand Masters (Season 2, spring 2012)
- Truck Stop USA (Season 2, spring 2012)
- Vegas Stripped (Season 1, winter 2012)
- When Vacations Attack (Season 3, spring 2012)
- Backdoor non-scripted pilot
- Slice of Brooklyn (March 2012)