Travel Channel (formerly known as The Travel Channel) is an US cable television channel owned by Discovery, Inc.. As the name suggests, the Travel Channel focuses its programming on interests related to travel; such as popular hotels, beaches, and historic sites. Ironically, one of the channel's most popular shows is barely travel related: Professional Poker Tour.
The channel was launched in 1987 by Trans World Airlines (TWA). It was later owned by Landmark Communications, then afterwards by Paxson Communications. Discovery Communications bought a 70 % interest in the channel in 1997, and assumed full ownership in 1999. In May 2007 Discovery sold the channel to Cox Communications. In November 2009 Scripps Networks Interactive acquired a 65 % interest in the channel, with Cox keeping a 35 % stake.
In March 2012 Scripps annonuced to buy Travel Channel International, an unrelated british company that owns the Travel Channel brand in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia-Pacific. If the deal gets regulatory approval, the international channels will be integrated into the Scripps/Cox-owned Travel Channel.
- Program Listing: A complete listing of shows that aired new episodes on Travel Channel.
- Ghost Adventures: Serial Killer Spirits (miniseries — October 5, 2019)
- American Mystery (Season 1 — October 16, 2019)
- Ghost Adventures: Quarantine (miniseries — June 11, 2020)
- Paranormal Caught on Camera (Season 3 — July 12, 2020)
Shows in Limbo
- Official website for Travel Channel