Star Trek: The Next Generation/Encounter at Farpoint (1)
Encounter at Farpoint is the first episode of the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and the first episode overall. While checking out a candidate facility for a new starbase facility, the newly formed crew of the Enterprise become suspicious when Farpoint Station is too good to be true.
Co-Stars: Colm Meaney (Battle Bridge Conn), Cary-Hiroyuki (Mandarin Bailiff), Timothy Dang (Main Bridge Security), David Erskine (Bandi Shopkeeper), Evelyn Guerrero (Young Female Ensign), Chuck Hicks (Military Officer), Jimmy Ortega (Torres)
The USS Enterprise-D, captained by Jean-Luc Picard is en-route to Farpoint Station on planet Deneb IV for its first mission. Without warning, they are assaulted by an extremely powerful entity which calls itself Q. Q maintains that humanity are a savage, child race, and summarily puts Picard and his crew on trial for the crimes of his people. Picard admits that humanity were once savage, but that they have since grown, and convinces Q to let them prove it. Q agrees to this, remarking that their Farpoint mission will be enough of a test to prove themselves.
Arriving at Farpoint, the Enterprise is joined by the rest of the crew, including First Officer Commander William Riker, who arrived with the USS Hood. While waiting for the Enterprise to arrive, the crew began investigating Farpoint Station, and noticed several strange occurrences. The administrator of the station, Groppler Zorn, denies that anything is out of the ordinary with the station, and assures Riker it will be perfect for the Federation to use as a starbase. Picard brings Riker up to speed on the happenings with Q, but as the Hood departs Q appears and accuses Picard of wasting time, of which they only have 24 hours with which to unravel the mystery of Farpoint.
- Stardate: 41153.7
Alien of the Week
- Q: The crew encounter the entity known as Q for the first time, and he places them on trial for the crimes of humanity.
- Farpoint Station: The crew are to investigate Farpoint Station, which apparently is more than it appears to be.
- Farpoint: The Enterprise crew are investigating Farpoint Station on planet Deneb IV, which is being considered for use by Starfleet as a Starbase. The station was apparently constructed by the Bandi people of the planet.
- Dr. Crusher: Dr. Crusher is assigned to the USS Enterprise-D, which brings back painful memories for her and her son, Wesley, as Captain Picard was the commanding officer of her late husband, Jack, when he was killed.
- Bones still refuses to use transporters, as he is afraid his molecules will be scattered across space.
- First Appearances: This episode contains the first appearance of Q, who will feature regularly throughout the show's run, constantly giving much grief to Picard and his crew. He next appears in 1x10 - Hide and Q. Chief Miles O'Brien also appears in this episode, serving as the Battle Bridge Conn Officer, however he does not receive a name until 2x07 - Unnatural Selection.
- Passing the Torch: DeForest Kelley reprises his role as an aged Leonard "Bones" McCoy, which starts a tradition of a character from the predecessor Star Trek show appearing in the premiere episode of a new one.
Behind the Scenes
- Halved: Encounter at Farpoint was originally aired as a 2-hour episode, however for subsequent airings it was separated into two parts. Both parts have the same production number.
Allusions and References
- Data escorts Admiral McCoy to the shuttle bay to be transferred to the USS Hood.
- Bones: Well, it's a new ship, but she's got the right name. Now you remember that, you hear?
Data: I will, sir.
Bones: You treat her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home.
- Overall Grade: no reviews yet
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0