Da Vinci's Inquest/Simple, Sad
Simple, Sad is the tenth episode of the fourth season of Da Vinci's Inquest, and the forty-ninth episode overall.
Starring: Nicholas Campbell (Dominic Da Vinci), Suleka Mathew (Dr. Sunita "Sunny" Ramen), Gerard Plunkett (Chief Coroner Bob Kelly) (credit only), Sarah-Jane Redmond (Sergeant Sheila Kurtz) (credit only), Donnelly Rhodes (Detective Leo Shannon), Venus Terzo (Detective Angela Kosmo), Ian Tracey (Detective Mick Leary), Gwynyth Walsh (Dr. Patricia Da Vinci) (credit only)
Guest Starring: Gina Chiarelli (Gina Otaviani), Nancy Sivak (Sarah Mills), Meghan Black (Hanna Reese), Enuka Okuma (Maria), Sarah Strange (Helen), John Shaw (Alex Mills), Alex Diakun (Chick Savoy), Samantha Ferris (Dolores Williams), Gwenda Lorenzetti (Julia Haines), Vincent Gale (Alfie), Gillian Barber (Adanac Clinic Doctor), Hiro Kanagawa (Dr. Ken Ozaki), Max Martini (Danny Leary)
At the request of Gina Otaviani, Dominic looks into the death of a female prisoner's newborn child.
Kosmo's undercover operation on Alex Mills' wife gets underway while a new piece of information is found at the Chinatown dig site.
- Amos Garrett - "Lost Love"
- Danny gets inserted to replace a bartender. He begins to build a relationship with Sarah Mills and gains her trust after arranging for her to witness getting hassled by Mick and Leo. Kosmo decides to kick up to the next level by asking Alex and Sarah about Roberta Vale.
- At the dig site, artefacts are uncovered presumed to belong to the murder victim, including a bookkeeping journal. Translated, they reveal various items including dates and places. Next to Vancouver was the number 12, the same number of skeletons and boxes recovered. He's then identified as the one gathering the remains of his ancestors. The site is then allowed to resume digging.
- Kosmo makes it clear to Danny that they will have a operator/handler relationship only.
- Mick urges Danny that when he finishes his current assignment and then quit.
- When Mick informs her about the remains, Sunny is hostile about having the site shut down. However, she doesn't bring up their relationship and the two walk away visibly upset at each other.
- Hiro Kanagawa would go on to have the recurring role as Roy Komori in Da Vinci's City Hall.