The Simpsons/Lisa's Substitute
From The TV IV
Lisa's Substitute is the nineteenth episode of the second season of The Simpsons, and the thirty-second episode overall.
Guest Stars: Sam Etic (Mr. Bergstrom)
After Ms. Hoover takes a leave of absence due to a case of psychosomatic lyme disease, Lisa develops a crush on a substitute teacher named Mr. Bergstrom. A distance soon grows between Homer and Lisa, when Homer embarrasses himself during an outing at the Natural History museum where they run into Bergstrom. Eventually Mr. Bergstrom must leave, which leads to a tearful good bye at the train station.
Meanwhile, Bart runs for class president against Martin Prince using charisma and humor to win over the students, which makes Homer proud. The election is lost when only Martin and Wendell bother to cast ballots, much to the delight of Mrs. Krabappel.
- Couch Gag: The Simpsons land on the couch wearing parachutes. Homer's chute doesn't open and he lands on the floor.
- The sign on Lisa's bedroom door reads "GO AWAY"
- The sandwich shop at the museum was named "Age of Heroes"
- The character of Mr. Bergstrom was voiced by Dustin Hoffman but was credited under the pseudonym .
- In the early seasons of The Simpsons, FOX executives weren't too thrilled with a Lisa themed episode. All promotion for the episode featured the "B" story starring Bart.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- (Homer notices Bart made the cover of the school newspaper in regards to the election)
Homer: You made the front page!
Bart: Dad, it's just a popularity contest.
Homer: Just a popularity contest? Excuse me, What's more important than popularity?
- Overall Grade: no reviews yet
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0